Saturday, June 27, 2009

Pomona Squares - Andrew's Graduation Quilt

We had a second graduation in our family this year. Our nephew Andrew, son of my sister Nancy in Brentwood, Tenn, graduated from high school and is going to Pomona College in Clairmont, Calif for college.

Naturally a quilt to take to college was called for ... and a quilt in colors that will survive in a young man's college dorm room. So I sorted through all my dark fabrics, especially the seemingly zillion 6" squares I have left from the two years I purchased a 6" square of each fabric that came into a quilt shop in North Carolina. I used the pattern "Romantic Charm" published by the Quilting Squares Studio in Franklin, Tenn, a pattern I bought when visiting Nancy and her family in February this year.

After assembling all the individual blocks for the quilt I laid them out on the living room floor to check the color balance.

A very curious Maggie was peeking out from under the ottoman during the block layout.
I left the room for just one minute and this happened!
To make a long story short I completed the quilt in time for Andrew's graduation in May. A friend quilted the quilt for me on her longarm machine in a meandering pattern. Here is a photo of Andrew and his new quilt.Congratulations to Andrew on your very successful completion of high school, and all the best wishes for good studies and new friends at Pomona.

2 comments:

Pat said...

I need a friend with a longarm machine!!!
Perfect boy college quilt!

Becky said...

You have such a funny cat. Sadie would have gone and laid down right in the middle of it and just looked at you!