Monday, June 15, 2009

Summer knitting challenge

One of my good knitting friends, Sharon F, is leaving Northern Virginia and moving to Buffalo this week. Sharon and I have been knitting buddies for about two years now, are in two knitting groups together, and I will miss her terribly!

About a year and a half ago when Sharon was "de-stashing" some of her yarn she offered to me some wool for Children-In-Common knitting (Children-In-Common is an online Yahoo group of people who knit items that are sent to orphanages in Russia and Eastern European nations). Thank you Sharon! Last week when I was rummaging around in my yarn stash I came across the yarn Sharon gave me, and decided that this summer would be a good time to knit up this yarn. Last Thursday I knit a pair of toddler socks of the one skein of Jaeger Dublin yarn.

Then it occurred to me ... a great summer challenge to myself would be to knit the yarn from Sharon and turn all that yarn into useful socks, hats, mittens, and vests for C-I-C. So I took this photo of the yarn in its unknit state (except for the socks already completed).


At the end of July and August I'll post photos of my progress through this beautiful yarn.

2 comments:

Rebecca in CO said...

What a wonderful plan! I'm sure it will be quite welcomed by the Children in Common. I have a bag with sock yarn in it to knit for that same cause and your post was a reminder to me that I need to spend some summer time doing that.

Sharon said...

Tears are falling as we pack the car today. Thank you for your kindess and help; just call me mini me. I packed yarn for CIC knitting this summer, I'll think of you as I sit and knit all by myself.