Thursday, June 11, 2009

Our Caroline in vintage clothes

When Caroline, and her mom Rebecca, visited us in May I took the opportunity to play dress-up with my grand-daughter.

Several years ago I received some of the batiste dresses that my grandmother McClure, my mother's mother in Atlanta, had made for me when I was an infant (I won't tell you how many years ago that was!). After soaking the dresses in sodium perborate dissolved in hot water, an archival-safe chemical used by many museums to remove yellowing and some stains in vintage fabrics, and pressing them, the little dresses have been restored to their glory. The workmanship my grandmother put into these dresses is impeccable - the tiny stitches, the enclosed french seams, the precise embroidery, the teeny tiny buttons and hand-stitched buttonholes.

So I put one of the dress and slip sets on Caroline and started snapping photos. I think this is the best one. Isn't she absolutely adorable! She's seven and a half months old in this photo.
Another photo showing the dress and slip from the side.
I am going to put the dresses on soft little hangers and hang them on a Shaker peg board in my sewing and knitting studio ... a beautiful reminder of the generations of needlewomen in my ancestry.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Julia,
I love the photos of Caroline in the little dresses from grandmother. I can hear her (grandmother) giggling and smiling down at Caroline in the clothes she made so many years ago. Nancy