Wednesday, October 07, 2009

September Socks

I'm really not sure how I become ensnared in the Sockknitters Anonymous and the Solid Socks groups on Ravelry at the beginning of September ... but I did.  Each group has a "challenge" each month and umpteen members try to finish at least one pair of socks using the designated technique, pattern from a particular designer, or color of yarn during the month. 

First of all, the Sockknitters Anonymous group's "technique" for September was to knit a pair of socks using yellow yarn.  Well, I just happened to have two skeins of Brown Sheep Wildfoote in "Lullaby Yellow" that have been languishing in the stash for a couple of years.  Nancy Bush, a world renowned sock designer, graciously designed a mystery sock for the group and the clues were released weekly during the month.  I cast on the first sock on September 2nd and bound off the second sock just in time on September 29th.  The pattern is called "Fox Faces" and creates a beautiful lacy design.  I had thought I might give these socks away because I don't see me wearing yellow socks, but as pretty as these turned out I think I'll keep them.  (The yarn is really much more of a pastel yellow than the photo shows.)





Then the designated Solid Socks group color for September was red.  And in my yarn inventory was a rich red skein of Bearfoot by Mountain Colors.  The yarn is a mix of wool, mohair, and nylon, and the mohair adds such a nice softness and halo to the knit.  For this sock I chose the Yarrow Ribbed Sock pattern in the book Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush.  But since I have knit this pattern before, and have been wanting to teach myself to knit socks from the toe up I switched directions and used Wendy Johnson's toe-up techniques for the socks.  I have avoided toe-up sock patterns in the past ... no more!!  I had a few problems but none that I could not overcome.  And my good friend Cindy M showed me a very stretchy bind-off that works wonderfully.




The only problem I foresee with these red socks is that I have to remember to always handwash them.  When I washed them for blocking the water was a very bright red through the washing and all four rinses.  The yarn must be super saturated with dye! 

Tomorrow, October 8th, I am off to my quilt guild's annual Fall Retreat.  One suitcase is packed full of fabric, thread, patterns, batting, and miscellaneous supplies.  I am probably taking two to three times the number of projects I can reasonably get done in the four retreat days, but better to have too much than not enough.  Of course I am also taking along some knitting for the quiet times - the one pair of socks left over from the September challenges and two pair of socks I've cast on for the October challenges.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Way to go, girl! Your Nancy Bush socks turned out great. They are so pretty. The Mtn Colors Bearfoot will bleed forever. I knit a pair for my daughter in the Ruby color and she says she still has to handwash them. They tend to fuzz up horribly when put in the washing machine. But gosh, they sure are pretty and they are ever so soft!

Sharon said...

The SKA pattern is attractive. I'm not a "holey" person so I passed on the pattern. Glad you tried the toe up. I purchased Wendy's toe up book to try the method. Wish I had Cindy around....